Washing and fabric care
Before start, we need to consider two important aspects:
Flamenco dress making's care
Before starting sewing, Flamentex recommends to wash any fabric to be used -both dress and accessory-. You can use remnants, so won't waste cloths. Likewise, it is also recommended to use neutral soaps and color wipes.
How to wash a flamenco dress
The best way to take care of our flamenco dress, is to follow the washing instructions on the givenor, if appropriate, the designer. However, there you have some basic aspects:
- It is important not to wait too long between using it and washing it, so it will be easier to remove any stain..
- If we do not have a washing label or we have doubt, wash it by hand and with cold water.
- If you rather washing by machine, put it inside out and use a short, cold and delicate program with neutral and liquid soap, vinegar and coarse salt.
- It is advisable to also incorporate a wipe color trap.
- In the washing machine, we can replace the softener with sugar, to help us starch the suit. More information on Oso Polar claner (link in Spanish).
- Do not use bleach, softeners or aggressive cleaning products.
- If our flamenco dress has petticoats, wash separately.
- If our flamenco dress has rhinestones, sequins or any similar decoration, it is recommended to wash by hand so it won't spoil the ornamentation or the fabric itself.When ironing, do it inside out and at medium/ low temperature, according to the fabric nature. We must iron steering wheel per wheel and avoiding friction.
- For shawls, it is important to wash by hand without wetting the fringes and spread them out.
- It is not recommended to leave your clothes soaking, because with the water without movement it favors the colors to be diluted.
- When drying, do not use a dryer or leave it in the sun. Tender without draining horizontally and in the shade.
At the time of wash it, we must also check if our flamenco dress needs some sewing retouching.
How to keep a flamenco dress
- It is recommended to store it in an individual case, with enough room to evoid crushings or bentings.
- If our dress has a big neckline, hang it on a hanger with neaddles, so it won't slip.
- As for the fringes, it is advisable to undo them and keep them separate, to avoid knots and deteriorate. In the same way, we can keep it together with our shawl: apart, well folded and in boxes.